Biological and Social Sex Differences
In my youth, I wanted three children. I wanted it badly and I don't have an explanation for why I was so wrapped around the axle about that, but I wanted three kids and I didn't care about gender.
My husband only wanted two children. He has strong political views about overpopulation and he wanted to walk the talk.
But he wanted a boy and a girl.
My first baby sat high in my abdomen. My second sat low. I was surrounded by people saying that means it will be a different gender from the first and hubby wanted a girl because we already had a boy.
I bought some girl's baby clothes on clearance and a pink snow suit because of all that. He had to exchange the pink snow suit for a blue one after our second son was born.
My oldest son tested at the senior in college level for science on some curriculum placement test when he was eleven and in sixth grade. I later learned that test only goes to the senior in college level, so he ceilinged the test.
That should be interpreted as "at least that high." Because the test doesn't score beyond that.
He tells me two things:
1. Men typically care about the gender of the children and women tend not to.
2. Biologically, men can only pass on both their x and their y gene if they have both a boy and a girl. For women, gender doesn't matter. If they have at least two kids, they've possibly passed on both x genes.
He thinks that second scientific fact is why men and women tend to have different priorities about such things.
He also thinks such sex differences are a practical matter that helps men and women reach a negotiated settlement satisfactory to both parties. If they want different things, it facilitates reaching an outcome both are content with.
He's also suggested men tend to be more particular about when they have sex. Women are more like "three times a week" and men are more like "Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday."
Same thing: she's flexible but as long as it happens three times on his schedule, they have peace at home.