Angelina Jolie
Angelina Jolie has some seemingly unspecified beef with her father, Jon Voight. I've never heard one word suggesting what the issue is.
We can do the innuendo, we can dance and sing.When it's said and done, we haven't told you a thing.
She's a beautiful woman and has been in the public eye for decades. If she didn't realize in her youth when this started that not stating her beef is implying he sexually assaulted her, she has to have figured it out by now.
If he didn't sexually assault her, not stating her beef publicly is almost certainly vastly more damning than the truth. Doubly so because she looks like she's taking the high road and not stooping to mud slinging.
So she nominally hates her father. And then CHOOSES to go into not only the same profession, but also the same highly social "it's who you know" small world professionally.
She doesn't quietly become a New York stage actress. She doesn't move to Bollywood and become the hot new sensation in India.
Like her father, she becomes a Hollywood actor in big films for big bucks.
I've read lots of true stories about people with family drama. The norm is more like "I'll be damned if I'm going to be like the father I hate. I'm going into ANY profession but his."
I became a military wife to put some distance between me and my family as undramatically and privately as possible. That never triggered anyone going "You must have DADDY ISSUES, am I right???!!!"
As best I can tell, she's not making any effort to let the public know "Nah, that's not it." Nor am I aware of her pressing charges against him for sexual assault or getting very publicly involved in sexual assault recovery charities or something like that.
Frankly, based on having been assaulted by two male relatives who were uncommonly ethical people in spite of that incident of falling down, one of whom made amends to me for years, and having also read the research for decades, Jon Voight letting her drag him publicly via innuendo while allowing her to establish a successful Hollywood career -- instead of making a few phone calls and asking people to not hire her, thus torpedoing her career before it could begin -- strongly implies he's not an abusive parent.
I don't think it passes the sniff test that Jon Voight is a bad guy.
Most women don't have anywhere near the income, net worth, career success and public reputation as Angelina Jolie. I find it implausible that daddy is an ASSHOLE but has refrained from poisoning the well in Hollywood for any hope of her succeeding professionally.
They had trouble shooting the movie The Devil Wears Prada in New York because without Anna Wintour saying anything to anyone, people were reluctant to allow anyone to use their property as a filming location for fear of offending her because the book is written about her by someone who once worked for her and it's an unflattering portrayal of her which doesn't appear to be accurate.
You're going to tell me "Jon Voight RAPED Angelina Jolie, probably repeatedly for YEARS --because just once isn't how incest typically goes -- AND he's NOT quietly making it impossible for her to have a Hollywood career at all."?
Do you know ANYTHING about people? Have you EVER MET another human being???? Does that make ANY sense to you if you stop and think about it?
So Jon Voight is apparently not an abuser trying to ruin her life and her earning capacity, but she is doing nothing to tell people "Meh, no big. I don't get along with my father, but that doesn't imply you shouldn't."
AND she expects all of Hollywood to tiptoe around the two of them and their issue, whatever it is, for maximum social drama and inconvenience of as many people as possible.
That sounds pathological to me. I kept my family drama quiet while sorting my mess and limiting contact with them.
Then she throws herself at a married man -- Brad Pitt -- and gets knocked up out of wedlock by him presumably to pressure him to leave his wife. He leaves one no talent but conventionally beautiful actress for another conventionally beautiful actress and the next thing you know, she has ELECTIVE surgery to remove both tits and immediately writes about it in what looks to me like a giant public FUCK YOU to Brad Pitt.
He's probably a stand up guy and it looks to me like he's being intentionally shafted by a NUTCASE for it.
Then, after pursuing him hard and doing the Hollyweird thing of adopting a Zillion kids and never seeing them while nannies raise them, she drags him publicly and they divorce -- I don't know who initiated it, because I don't follow Hollywood gossip rags -- and the drama continues with the kids rejecting him.
And now she's in her fifties and posting bizarre articles about all the female relatives she had who died in their fifties. I'm halfway waiting to hear she's died tragically at a young age and now the kids don't know how to survive because publicly pissing all over daddy while she was still alive has made it difficult to run home to Brad Pitt when they run into financial difficulties as no-talent losers trying to make it in Hollywood on the strength of their parents' names after publicly alienating one of them.
Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston didn't do the Hollyweird thing, even though unlike Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Aniston is infertile. So that's almost certainly Angelina Jolie's thing, not Brad Pitt's idea.
Footnote
I don't typically read Hollywood gossip stuff. My sister and mom always read stuff like The Enquirer and People magazine. My college-educated sister with an actual bachelor's degree and a few master's level classes under her belt calls it junk food for the mind.
This article cites few sources. If I know it, it's probably common knowledge that gets repeated so much all 8.3 billion earthbound humans know it, whether they want to or not.
This is a blog post using a specific example that should be familiar to the public. It's not a court trial charging Angelina Jolie with anything. It hypothetically could change the discourse in the court of public opinion, but this is unsubstantiated gossip being used to illustrate important ideas.
Sorry, Angelina Jolie. I wish I didn't think "Wow, that bitch HAS ISSUES." Nothing personal.